There’s a rather alarming mini roundabout at this junction today, with traffic from Totternhoe able to filter through without stopping.
But when this postcard was published the roads were so much quieter, with open grassland on the corner.
The card, discovered by collector David Underwood, is helpfully captioned “On the way to Totternhoe” and the old B489 signpost clearly demonstrates that the photographer was standing on the edge of Tring Road, looking towards Totternhoe Road and Lancot Hill.
Today’s colour photo, taken just a few yards from the original spot, shows how new development has crept up to the corner, with only the curve of the road helping us to get our bearings.
Unfortunately, the postcard was never posted, so its date is uncertain.
One clue is the smaller signpost on the corner, pointing the way to the London Gliding Club. The club opened at the foot of the downs in around 1930, the same year that the bungalows in the photo were built.
And the old-fashioned telegraph poles are still in place. But it would be nice to hear from a Gazette reader who has a postmarked copy of the card.
> Yesteryear is compiled by John Buckledee, chairman of Dunstable and District Local History Society.