A controversial scheme to build up to 1,050 homes east of Wigmore in Luton has been put on hold.
North Herts District Council (NHDC) has agreed at a request of Bloor Homes, to delay the determination of their planning application for the development.
NHDC had scheduled a special meeting of the planning control committee on March 27 when it would have determined the application.
The scheme will affect the greenbelt countryside adjacent to Luton’s border near Cockernhoe, Mangrove Green and Tea Green and had raised concerns of residents at Stopsley and Wigmore.
Luton Borough Council had already spoken out about the adverse impact on the highway network around Stopsley and Wigmore, and because the scheme fails to address employment, community, education and infrastructure required to support the development.
A report by the council’s head of planning and transportation in October last year says: “The development represents a piecemeal form of development that fails to address fully the impact of the development on the infrastructure of the area. It relies on existing infrastructure and fails to provide sufficient to mitigate the impacts.”
NHDC said this week that by agreement of the applicant and the Council the planning control meeting has now been postponed and a new date for the committee has not yet been confirmed.
Everyone who has commented on this planning application in writing will be informed of any new date for the Planning Control Committee at least 10 working days in advance of the Committee date.