Child suffers 20% burns to face and legs in Luton fire

Fire and Rescue
Fire and Rescue

A young child suffered 20% burns after a house fire in Luton yesterday.

While firefighters were dealing with flooding in the north of the county, Luton crews were extinguishing a bedroom fire in Telscombe Way.

At 2.27pm, in the midst of dealing with the floods in northern Bedfordshire, fire control received a call about the fire in a second floor bedroom of a terraced house in Telscombe Way, Luton.

A smoke alarm had alerted the child’s mother.

Fire crews from Luton Community Fire Station were on the scene within ten minutes and donned breathing apparatus to protect themselves from smoke and fumes while using a fire hose and a covering jet to put out the fire which had been started by a hair dryer.

After the fire was out crews used positive pressure ventilation to clear smoke from the building.

Ambulance crews attended and took the young child to hospital suffering from leg and facial burns.

The incident was closed at 3.16pm.

More information about free Home Fire Safety Checks is on http://www.bedsfire.com/CommunitySafety/HomeFireSafety/Pages/SafetyDevices.aspx