The New Year is often a time when people kick-start their fitness regimes
The teams at Tiddenfoot and Dunstable Leisure Centres have compiled a list of tips to help people on their way to a fit and healthy 2014.
1. Stay realistic – If you are not used to it, getting into exercise isn’t always easy!
Set yourself realistic goals and maybe speak to a personal trainer who can help you figure out what those goals are.
2. Join with a friend – If you know your gym routine may slip or are a bit intimidated by the gym, you may want to join with a friend as this will be motivation in itself. Seeing each other get fit together will make you feel great!
3. Make the time – Many people feel they don’t have time to go to the gym or exercise, but if you consider how many hours there are in the day, there is definitely time to squeeze in an hour of exercise. 4. Find an activity you enjoy – Exercise should be enjoyable and not feel like torture.
After all, you’ve made the decision to do it. Find something you enjoy doing so you can take great pleasure in overcoming the challenges and progressing with your fitness levels.
5. Make a diet plan – Food is 90% of the health and fitness battle, and making a diet plan will ensure you stay on track. By eating a balanced mix of proteins, fats and carbohydrates you will reap the benefits of your physical training routine.
6. Keep on top of your progress – A fitness journal will help keep your exercise routine on track, especially when you need an extra bit of motivation.
7. Try something new - It is important to keep your exercise regime fresh, so that you don’t get bored of doing the same things. Try different classes during the week or contact a personal trainer to spice up your routine!
8. Don’t overdo it! - While exercise shouldn’t be easy, you shouldn’t injure yourself by working too hard. Your body needs to recover in between exercises, particular if you are new to working out - so make sure you give yourself some time to relax.
9. Forget your excuses! - Whatever excuses you may have used before for not exercising, try and forget about it and think of all the potential benefits instead!
And to help people get into fitness this January, these leisure centres are offering a spectacular deal of joining the gym for just a £1!
Kevin Yates, Head of Fitness at the leisure centres, commented: “New Year is a great time of year for people to kick-start their fitness regime. By offering people the chance to join for just £1 this month, it has never been cheaper and easier to get fit and active at your local leisure centre.”
To find out more visit: www.1-life.co.uk or visit the centre and ask at reception.