The leaders of Britain First say that the far-right group is on the brink of collapse after Beds Police applied for an injunction against them.
On Friday Paul Golding and Jayda Fransen will appear at the High Court to argue against an injunction that would prevent the pair from entering Luton “and its surrounding area” for a year.
The hearing comes a day before Britain First plans to march through the town, a protest which the force contends will be “highly provocative” and could cause “major disruption and serious public disorder”.
Golding and Fransen have appealed to Britain First followers to help them raise £6,000 for legal representation, without which they say the group could face “total catastrophe”.
The pair could face a bill for tens of thousands of pounds if they are held liable for the force’s legal costs.
In a message to Britain First followers, Golding said; “Unless we raise the funds to secure capable legal representation by Friday we will be torn apart in the High Court and the result will be nothing less than the end of Britain First.
“No second chances, no last minute miracles, Britain First will collapse and cease to exist.
“It is a desperate and outrageous attempt to sabotage our Luton march and cripple Britain First in one go– using taxpayers’ money of course.”
Included in the application is a clause that would, for a period of 12 months, ban Golding and Fransen from publishing or distributing material which is “likely to stir up religious and/or racial hatred” and from behaving in a way that would cause “harrassment, alarm or distress”.
The pair would also be prevented from entering any mosque or Islamic centre without written permission.
Last year Golding was filmed with other supporters barging his way into two Luton mosques to hand out leaflets and bibles.
On the application Beds Police chief superintendent David Boyle said: “The force has worked with Luton Borough Council and our communities and we are committed to minimise the disruption to residents and businesses in the town.
“We respect the right for peaceful protest however we must also be mindful of the impact on our communities.
“As a result we have decided to place restrictions on the procession to ensure we recognise and meet the needs of all parties affected.”
Cllr Jacqui Burnett, Luton Borough Council executive member, added: “It is very regrettable that yet again a group which is not welcome in Luton and which does not represent our town in any way is holding a demonstration here.
“While the law does not allow the council or police to prevent peaceful protest, we have both worked hard to ensure that the rights of the local community are also respected and people’s views heard.”