The owners of Haji & Sons, Bury Park, were prosecuted by the council for food safety offences, at Luton Magistrates Court on Tuesday, August 12.
Food and Safety officers have visited the shop on Dunstable Road, on four occasions since May 2013, they have found it dirty and in a poor condition, with an infestation of mice.
In May 2003, they found mould growing on the walls and ceiling of the fruit and vegetable storage area, pieces of wood covered in slime across a chest freezer in the butcher’s area, a dead mouse amongst cans of ghee, and a decomposing mouse was found in a trap underneath rice pallets.
On a another visit they found mouse droppings on the floor and shelves and packets of food had been chewed by mice.
In April 2014, they found mould growing on the walls of the vegetable store room, food in the fridges was above the legal limit of 8°C and raw chicken was hanging in the cold room above a box of vegetables.
Owners Tarik Rashid and Mohammed Munir told the court they are now using a different pest control company, have food safety procedures in place and are planning to refurbish the shop. They both pleaded guilty to 12 hygiene offences. Magistrates ordered them to pay fines totalling £1,000 plus a £100 victim surcharge each, as well as the council’s costs of £1,400.
Councillor Aslam Khan said: “Food law lays down basic cleanliness and hygiene standards for food businesses to help keep customers safe and healthy. Businesses ignoring basic standards face prosecution and fines.”