Discarded cigarette to blame for Luton house blaze

Flat fire was arson.

Flat fire was arson.

0
Have your say

A discarded cigarette is believed to have caused a house blaze in which an elderly woman was injured.

Beds Fire and Rescue Service extinguished a house fire in Bunting Road, Luton yesterday afternoon and one woman was treated for smoke inhalation.

A neighbour raised the alarm at 4.39pm yesterday. One fire engine from Luton and two from Leighton Buzzard were dispatched and found there was a fire in a first floor bedroom. Wearing protective breathing apparatus firefighters began to fight the blaze with two fire hoses and managed to contain it to the bedroom. They quickly had it under control.

One woman was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation and the first floor bedroom was 100% destroyed by fire. Three quarters of the property was affected by smoke which firefighters cleared using positive pressure ventilation.