Fire breaks out in tobacco room

editorial image

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to a fire at Bookers Cash &Carry, Camford Way, Luton at 17.56pm on Saturday 11 th March.

Firefighters arrived at the scene within eight minutes to tackle the blaze in the tobacco room in the single storey warehouse.

The room was 50% damaged by fire, 100% smoke damaged and the rest of the building was 20% smoke damaged.

Crews from Luton and Dunstable attended the incident and breathing apparatus, thermal imaging cameras, jets, hoses and hydraulic equipment were used to bring the fire under control and ensure that the building was safe. Positive Pressure Ventilation Units were used to clear smoke in the building.

Group Commander John Foolkes praised the crews for their swift response in bringing the fire under control. “Firefighters arrived quickly and identified the site of the fire and prevented it spreading further into the warehouse. The cause of the fire was accidental.”