A firework was pushed through a letter box of a property in Wardown Crescent Luton, on Tuesday, October 14.
The incident happened at approximately 10pm when the 52 year old resident noticed smoke in the hall way of her home.
Luckily the damage was contained to scorch marks on the hall way carpet but the officer investigating the incident, PC Ian Bambridge, believes the fire could have put lives in danger.
PC Bambridge said: “Luckily the resident noticed the smoke quickly but if the fire had gone un-noticed then the consequences could have been dire.”
Call police on 101 or text information to 07786 200011.
Alternatively you can contact the independent crime fighting charity, Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.