Grandad injured as he rescued child

Fire and rescue

Fire and rescue

0
Have your say

A grandfather suffered minor burns as he rescued his granddaughter from a serious fire early in the hours of Sunday morning after a smoke alarm alerted an elderly couple to a fire in their home in Gooseberry Hill, Luton.

Two fire engines from Luton Community Fire Station found the fire in the ground floor of a two storey converted bungalow well established. They called for assistance from the Lutonaerial platform and another fire appliance was sent from Stopsley Fire Station to support them.

The fire, believed to have starting in a ground floor airing cupboard, had spread to the rest of the ground floor but fortunately the elderly couple had been alerted to the beginnings of the fire by their smoke alarm. The grandfather had gone upstairs into the loft extension through the fire to rescue his young granddaughter and all three safely left the building.

He suffered minor burns and from the effects of smoke inhalation and was treated by an ambulance crew. The grandmother and their young granddaughter were not injured. The British Red Cross support unit attended to provide some temporary accommodation and assistance for those involved.

Firefighters got the fire under control within fifteen minutes of arriving and fought it using two hoses, two covering jets and six breathing apparatus. The fire was extinguished by 5am and had seriously damaged the ground floor of the property. Firefighters stayed on scene for several hours damping down and using positive pressure ventilation to clear the property of smoke.

Station Commander Kevin Moores said “That the family were alerted by the smoke alarm and able to alert the fire service and get their granddaughter clear of the house shows how important it is to have a working smoke detector in your home. If you don’t have one please get one, if you have one test it regularly to check it is working properly. It could save your life and the lives of your family if there is a fire.”