DCSIMG

Football thugs banned from matches

Hooligans set out to 'establish their name'

A group of "self-styled football hooligans", one of whom was only 15 years old, have been banned from attending matches for up to five years.

The ten hooligans, who were banned following their conviction for violence after a Luton Town match in October, are banned from any regulated games in England and Wales, and will have to surrender their passports to the police when England play abroad.

The men, all but one of whom are from the Luton and Dunstable area, were charged with public order offences following Luton's game against Nottingham Forest on October 27 last year. After the match a fight broke out in Birch Link, Luton, and police released CCTV images of the men and appealed for the public's help in identifying them.

As well as the bans, some of the men were ordered to carry out community service and given night-time curfews.

Police said the group, who were sentenced at Luton Magistrates Court on Wednesday, April 23, had set out to make a name for themselves as hooligans.

Det Con Melissa Lambton from Luton CID said: "Banning orders are a proven deterrent against football violence at matches both at home and abroad and we are pleased with the magistrate's decision."

For a full list of those who were banned, see the May 15 edition of the Luton News and Dunstable Gazette

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page