Motorists warned over winter warm-ups
As Bedfordshire tackles the latest cold weather snap Bedfordshire Police have issued a security warning to motorists.
Because of the cold weather police have seen more instances of drivers leaving their cars unattended but with the keys in the ignition while they warm up.
Inspector Robert Bartlett, said: “Motorists are advised never to leave their vehicle unattended with the key in the ignition and the engine running. They are also urged to leave extra time to go out and thoroughly clear front, side and back windows.
“It may seem like an inconvenience, but it is a lot less trouble than having a car stolen and suddenly being without transport.”
POLICE TOP TIPS FOR MOTORISTS DURING WINTER
1) Keep keys out of sight at night, rather than on a hook or table by the door.
2) Double lock UPVC front doors.
3) If you have a garage, put your car in it.
4) Ensure vehicle doors, windows and the sunroof are locked.
5) Use security lights.
6) When out and about try to park in well lit and busy locations.
7) Always remove equipment like sat-navs and the cradle.
8) Never leave valuables on display, including coats.
9) If you are going shopping do not leave your purchases in your car while you go back for more - thieves could be watching.
Anyone with information about crimes can contact Bedfordshire Police in confidence on 101, or text to 07786 200011.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Luton
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 8 C
Wind Speed: 33 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North