Norovirus outbreak is ‘under control’ says L&D bosses
HEALTH chiefs said yesterday that a norovirus outbreak which hit the Luton & Dunstable Hospital last week is now under control.
Visiting is still restricted to one visitor per patient following the outbreak, but an L&D spokesman confirmed yesterday that no new patients had been admitted to the hospital with the virus.
Robust infection control measures and restricted visiting on the wards was put in place to help the hospital halt the spread of infection and return to normal and are still in place as a precautionary measure.
All outpatient appointments and surgical operations are continuing as normal and a quarentine ward is still in place for those with the most severe symptoms.
An L&D spokesman said yesterday: “We held a meeting with our Infection Control Team on Tuesday and the situation is now under control and no new inpatients with the virus have been admitted.
“Patients were coming in with other conditions and brought the virus with them, for instance someone could come in with a broken bone but have norovirus.
“A lot of the patients who had it last week have now gone home as their symptoms have subsided. We’ve still got a quarentine ward for the most serious cases and no visitors are being admitted to that ward.
“Visiting restrictions of one named visitor per patient are in place to try and reduce the number of people walking around the hospital.
“We’re hoping by the end of the week that the restrictions will be lifted.”
The hospital is asking all visitors to ensure they carefully wash their hands when entering and leaving the wards. If anyone is feeling off-colour, or has vomiting, diarrhoea or flu-like symptoms they are asked not to visit the hospital until they have been clear of symptoms for at least 48 hours.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Luton
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 8 C
Wind Speed: 33 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North