An inquest into the death of former Luton footballer Parys Okai found he died from a drugs overdose.
Leicester coroner Catherine Mason recorded a verdict of misadventure.
Mr Okai, who was 28, collapsed at a nightclub in the city in October. He died three days later at Leicester Royal Infirmary.
The medical cause of death was an overdose of the drug MDMA, commonly known as Ecstasy.
The coroner said it should be a warning not to take street drugs which were not only llegal but whose contents were often unknown.
She added: “Let that be an ongoing memory to Mr Okai, that lives may be saved his death.”