Man receives treatment after kitchen blaze

What can happen in a kitchen fire: Stock image
What can happen in a kitchen fire: Stock image

A man was treated for the effects of breathing in smoke following a kitchen fire at a property in Spandow Court, Elizabeth Street, Luton.

The fire service were called to the incident at 12.41am yesterday (Wednesday) by an alarm monitoring service.

When firefighters from Luton, Dunstable and Stopsley Community fire stations arrived five minutes later they found the kitchen fire was out.

They helped the man from the building and the ambulance service took him to hospital. Firefighters cleared smoke from the premises using positive pressure ventilation. The fire started accidentally and the incident was closed at 1.26am.

Following a spate of kitchen fires in the county, the fire service is urging people to take extra care when cooking, not to leave cooking unattended, not to use too much cooking oil and not to cook while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. For more advice visit www.bedsfire.com