Winger Luke Rooney is desperate to play a part in Town’s FA Cup third round clash at rivals Cambridge United tomorrow.
The 24-year-old missed Hatters’ 1-0 win at the Abbey Stadium back in September after injuring himself in the previous match against York City.
However, Rooney is now fully fit, starting Luton’s last four matches, scoring three times, as he said: “I’m looking forward to that game as I said I would have preferred this tie than Mansfield as it was one of the first games I missed after my injury.
“I was gutted to miss it and didn’t go as I’m not a good watcher. I was watching it on Soccer Saturday and saw Cully’s (Mark Cullen) winner come up and heard from the boys it was a really feisty game and like a derby game.
“I’m really pleased we’ve got them and think if you ask any of the players who have been knocked out already, League Two or League One, I’m sure they’d sooner rather be in it.
“They have more games and maybe the chance of playing at a really big stadium. I’m perfectly glad we’re still in the cup and really looking forward to Saturday.”
Although Luton could well fall behind in their race for promotion with a host of other League Two games going ahead, Rooney believes his side will only get better as they did on their way to the Conference title last year.
The former Gillingham player is also expected to be offered a new deal at Kenilworth Road with his contract running shortly, but admits nothing has materialised so far.
For the full story, see the Luton News/Dunstable Gazette on sale now, while for all the latest Luton Town FC news, visit our Hatters Microsite.