Inquest opens into death of young girl from Luton
A young girl from Luton died just a week after developing chickenpox, an inquest opening has heard.
The hearing, which took place in Ampthill last Wednesday, was told that in late March Goda Januleviciute was diagnosed with chickenpox.
A week later she was taken to Luton & Dunstable Hospital after suffering from a high fever, abdominal and leg pain, as well as abdominal tenderness.
The six-year-old was given paracetamol and was discharged home after reportedly feeling better.
However the next day she was taken to A&E and showed signs of severe shock – poor perfusion, unrecordable blood pressure, acidosis and hypoglycaemia.
She was transferred to Great Ormond Street Hospital but died the same night.
Her cause of death was found to be septic shock due to Group A Streptococcus and a Varicella-Zoster virus infection (chickenpox).
Senior coroner Tom Osborne opened and adjourned the inquest.
A full hearing will take place on October 6.