Several cats died from salt toxicity in the last icy snap from gritter salt, and in the last few days a cat died from suspected antifreeze poisoning.
Salt and grit can also be harmful to dogs and irritate their paws.
Chief Blue Cross vet Mark Bossley said: “If it is icy outside and salt is being used to grit the streets it is wise to keep your pet indoors. Salt is poisonous to cats and it can easily get on their paws or fur and be swallowed when they groom themselves.”
Signs of poisoning include lethargy, vomiting, appetite loss and drinking excessively.
These are the 10 best pubs in Luton and Dunstable - according to the CAMRA Good Beer Guide 2020
Luton’s top 10 dark urban myths, true horror stories and unexplained events
7 of the best carveries and Sunday roasts in the Luton area - according to Google reviews
These are the 20 most expensive streets in Luton
12 photos that will take you back to a night out in Luton in the 2000s
Consider keeping cats indoors, as well as small pets like rabbits and guinea pigs which are particularly vulnerable to hypothermia, or at least make sure they have extra bedding to keep them warm.
Download a free ‘Surviving winter’ advice leaflet and see more pet care advice at www.bluecross.org.uk.