Inquest opened into ‘non suspicious’ death of Alistair Wayne Bowen

Alistair Wayne Bowen
Alistair Wayne Bowen

An inquest has been opened into the death of a man accused over a toddler’s fatal injuries.

Last night the Luton News exclusively revealed that Alistair Wayne Bowen, 36, was found dead at his home on Drayton Road, Luton, on Saturday.

Bowen was set to appear at Guildford Crown Court on Friday charged with causing or allowing the death of his former partner’s one-year-old girl in Surrey.

The 36-year-old’s death is not being treated as suspicious.

Luton and Beds Coroner Service is now waiting on the results of a toxicology test, which may reveal a cause of death.

The inquest has been adjourned to a later date.

A Beds Police spokesperson said: “At 4.58pm on Saturday (11 July) Bedfordshire Police was called to an address at Drayton Road, Luton, where officers found the body of a man in his mid-thirties.

“The death is not being treated as suspicious, the coroner has been informed and an inquest will be opened and adjourned in due course.”

Surrey Police began probing Bowen and his former partner Kirsty Lee after officers were alerted by staff at St Peter’s Hospital in Chertsey, where Miss Lee’s daughter Cara Lee-Fanus was admitted with serious injuries on Wednesday May 28 2014.

She was later transferred to St George’s Hospital in Tooting but died the following day.

A post-mortem established the cause of death as a head injury.

Detectives from Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team launched a murder investigation.

Miss Lee, 25, of Grove Close, Windsor, and Bowen appeared at Guildford Magistrates Court in April, jointly charged with causing or allowing the death of a child or causing or allowing serious physical harm to a child.

At the time Bowen was granted bail on the condition that he did not contact Miss Lee, go within one mile of Heathrow Airport or enter Surrey except for his court appearances.

He was also barred from having unsupervised contact with anyone under the age of 18