Man jailed for life for murder of teen Marcus Hall in Luton

Adebayo Ekun
Adebayo Ekun

A gang member who fled the country after murdering teenager Marcus Hall in Luton 14 years ago has finally been brought to justice.

Adebayo Ekun, 39, avoided arrest and fled to Nigeria, while five others were convicted between 2001 and 2002 for the part they played in the murder.

Marcus Hall was murdered outside Atmosphere nightclub in Luton in 2001

Marcus Hall was murdered outside Atmosphere nightclub in Luton in 2001

Eighteen-year-old Marcus was beaten and stabbed to death on 21 March 2001 outside Atmosphere nightclub in Luton. The student, from Peckham in South London, had been attending a gig by So Solid Crew.

Det Sgt Mark Devine said: “Despite the passing of 14 years, Bedfordshire Police has continued the hunt for the final outstanding offender to this vicious and brutal murder.

“His guilty plea today is a direct consequence of the strength of the evidence against him.”

Ekun was captured on CCTV in 2001 wearing a distinctive checked coat.

Appeals were made and information led detectives to a designer clothes store in London where it was discovered that the jacket was one of only nine sold in the UK. The store also had a list of all nine buyers – which included Ekun.

Detectives raided his London home and found a flyer for the shop. But Ekun had already left the UK.

He was eventually found and arrested in Nigeria in February this year in an operation involving the National Crime Agency (NCA) and the Nigerian authorities.

The Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit worked with the NCA to extradite him back to the UK in March, where he was subsequently charged and remanded into custody.

Today, Ekun pleaded guilty at Luton Crown Court and was jailed for life with a minimum term of 10 years.

Det Sgt Devine added: “We are pleased that he has admitted his guilt and spared Marcus’ family the ordeal of revisiting the murder of their son and brother through another crown court trial. We sincerely hope that today’s conviction offers them some form of closure.

“This was a vicious attack that cost a young man his life. This group thought they were above the law but violence is not acceptable and we hope this gives a strong message that we are committed to do all in our power to catch those responsible no matter how long it takes.”