A “dirty” takeaway in Bury Park has been forced to pay up after being prosecuted for food hygiene offences.
Kebabish on Dunstable Road was inspected in November 2015 and found to have poor standards of cleaning throughout, with damaged walls and dirty equipment.
The business had already received cautions for six offences in October 2014. When unhygienic conditions were discovered again, Luton Borough Council stated they had “no option other than to prosecute”.
Findings included walls and pipework coated with grease.
Other pools of grease were found under the fryers with chips and pieces of kebab meat lying in it, while surfaces such as door handles, switches and taps were “sticky and crusty to touch”.
The inspector also noted the chef was not wearing any protective clothing. He apparently had to be told three times to put on an apron.
Kebabish’s owner Mohammed Usman Fareed pleaded guilty to five hygiene offences at Luton Magistrates Court on April 6.
He was fined £5,825 plus a £116 victim surcharge each, as well as the Council’s costs of £436.66.
Fareed claimed he worked elsewhere and that the takeaway is run by another family member.
He stated that since the visit they have carried out a deep clean, employed a cleaner and made improvements to the shop.
Clle Jacqui Burnett said: “Standards of cleanliness can be easily achieved by any business and should not require any great expense other than physical effort to remove dirt and grease.
“It is inexcusable to ignore simple principles of personal hygiene such as wearing an apron. Businesses that continue to ignore food hygiene requirements face prosecution and fines.”
Hygiene rating of restaurants across the UK can be checked by visiting the website www.food.gov.uk/ratings. For further food hygiene information go to www.luton.gov.uk/food.