Elderly woman treated after cooker fire

Fire SUS-150403-231345001
Fire SUS-150403-231345001

An elderly woman was treated for smoke inhalation after a cooker fire on Saturday, May 9.

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service are urging local people to take extra care in their kitchens following the incident.

Firefighters were called shortly before 7pm to Mary Brash Court, Lullington Close, Luton, to extinguish a cooker fire.

They found a cooker had been left unattended and there was a lot of smoke in the property.

Firefighters ventilated the flat and an elderly woman was treated for smoke inhalation by the ambulance service.

The fire service have issued some advice for residents:

Take care when leaving the kitchen whilst cooking,

Take pans off the heat or turn them down to prevent overheating and catching fire,

Turn saucepan handles to prevent accidents,

Take care if you are wearing loose garments,

Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob,

Take care when cooking hot oil.

If a pan of oil catches fire, you should leave it where it is, turn off the heat when it is safe and ring 999. Water should never be thrown on burning oil, it will create a fireball and spread the fire and cause serious injury.