Five hurt in ‘large disorder’ at bar

CRIME SCENE: Police officers in King Street this morning
CRIME SCENE: Police officers in King Street this morning

Two men had to have surgery after they were stabbed in a fight at a bar in Luton in the early hours of this morning (Wednesday).

Bedfordshire Police had to deal with 200 people when they were called to The Exchange in King Street at 3.30am.

GATHERING EVIDENCE: Forensics officers were at the scene this morning

GATHERING EVIDENCE: Forensics officers were at the scene this morning

An event was taking place at the venue with DJs and MCs to celebrate the first anniversary of a clothing label called All Means Necessary (ANM).

A total of five people suffered knife wounds in the incident: two men aged 19, two others aged 23 and 22, and a 19-year-old woman, who received a small cut to her hand.

A 20-year-old man suffered bruising to his head.

All were taken to hospital for treatment. None of the injuries are thought to be life threatening but two of the men are described as being in a serious condition.

A police spokesman said: “The disorder took around 50 minutes to fully resolve with officers using public order tactics to diffuse the situation.

“An investigation is now underway to establish what sparked the incident.”

Part of King Street was closed off following the incident and forensics officers were at the scene this morning to collect evidence.

The officer in charge of the investigation, Det Con Mohammed Hussain, said he wanted to speak to anyone who was inside the club when the incident took place.

He said: “A 22-year-old man with a stomach injury and a 19-year-old man with injuries to his back and arm have both undergone surgery and are now recovering.

“Officers will be keeping an open mind on what started this incident and will be reviewing CCTV in due course.

“I would appeal directly to the people who were inside the club to come forward and help this investigation.”

Manager of The Exchange, Stewart Curry, said staff had been reviewing CCTV from the venue with CID officers.

“The incident involved about eight to 10 people,” he said. “We are helping the police to get to the bottom of what happened.

“The whole incident only lasted about three minutes but obviously then we had to close the venue and get 200 people out.”

The owner of ANM, who did not want his name published, told the Herald&Post: “We were there celebrating but what happened has nothing to do with my brand.”

Anyone with information about this incident should contact Det Con Hussain on 01582 394132 or Bedfordshire Police on 101.