Luton Park Street blaze deemed 'accidental' says fire service

A blaze which brought a street in Luton town centre to a standstill for hours yesterday (Sunday) was "deemed accidental" according to the fire service.

Monday, 19th July 2021, 1:27 pm
Updated Monday, 19th July 2021, 3:00 pm

Beds Fire and Rescue Service was called shortly after 10.30am to the building fire on Park Street, above shops Mail Boxes Etc and Smart Phones4U.

Firefighters were forced to strip the roof in order to bring the flames under control.

"We sent six fire engines, our incident command unit, operational support unit and aerial platform to the incident," said a Beds Fire and Rescue spokesman.

The blaze in Park Street yesterday    (C: Beds Fire and Rescue Service)
The blaze in Park Street yesterday (C: Beds Fire and Rescue Service)

"The fire had started on the second floor and quickly spread to the third floor roof of the building.

"It caused a lot of smoke in the area, we therefore asked residents in the area to keep their doors and windows closed while we tackled the fire.

"The fire was deemed to have started accidently."

Nearby businesses the Brewery Tap and Tesco were thanked for supplying the fire service with food and drink.