Newlywed from Luton drowns on honeymoon in Dubai

Mohammed Majid Malik (centre) pictured with his family on his wedding day
Mohammed Majid Malik (centre) pictured with his family on his wedding day

A newlywed drowned as he waded into a swimming pool on his honeymoon in Dubai, an inquest opening heard this morning.

Mohammed Majid Malik, 28, of Overstone Road, Luton, was pulled from the water at the Jebel Ali Beach Hotel in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Mohammed Majid Malik

Mohammed Majid Malik

At the time the mortgage advisor was enjoying the last day of his honeymoon with new wife Maira Shahid, whom he had married on July 30 in Ilford, London.

After going out for dinner and to shop the couple returned to the hotel and decided to go for a stroll.

Maira Shahid told the hearing: “Majid said he wanted to go for a walk, that was the first time we went there (to the pool)

“We were there paddling and chatting then we went around the other side and sat there.

“He said he wanted to swim.

“I asked him if he could swim as it was our first holiday together and he said he had done it before at the gym.”

The inquest heard that Maira Shahid took pictures of her husband as he walked backwards in the pool and as she put her phone back in her bag the 28-year-old got into difficulty as he passed a drop in depth.

Maira Shahid added: “I could see his hands going up and down and I went into the pool to try to get him up but I couldn’t.

“I was screaming for help and couldn’t get hold of his hands.

“My headscarf came down and I couldn’t see him.”

Maira Shahid got out of the pool and managed to alert two hotel guests, who dived in and pulled up Mohammed.

Staff performed CPR but were unable to resuscitate the 28-year-old.

He was pronounced dead at hospital around 35 minutes later.

Friends, family and colleagues of Mohammed swelled the Central Mosque on Westbourne Road on Tuesday to pay their last respects.

Following the inquest opening Mohammed’s uncle, Akhtar Mohammed Malik, paid tribute to his nephew.

He told the Herald & Post: “(Mohammed) was a loveable, enjoyable and very playful person.

“He was very much loved by all of the family.

“Obviously his wife has been traumatised and is in shock having witnessed this tragedy.

“It was a tragic accident, the hotel had never had an incident like this before.”

A full inquest will be held on February 3.