Nightclub damaged in blaze

Fire and rescue
Fire and rescue

A Luton nightclub was badly damaged by fire in the early hours of Bank Holiday Monday.

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue were called to the Diamond nightclub, Cheapside, at 7:13 on the morning of Monday after a smoke alarm went off. When firefighters arrived they found a smouldering fire developing in a bar area on the ground floor of the four storey building.

The fire caused 25% damage to the ground floor bar and 100% light smoke damage to the first and second floors of the building.

The fire was thought to have been caused by electrical equipment and its cause was not suspicious. The fire started after the club, which had been open until the early hours, had closed and there were no casualties.