Reckless thieves inflicted as much damage as possible after several pets died – and a home was left drenched – following the burglary of a flat in Luton.
A guinea pig and two rats were in their cages at the flat in Olympic Street when it was targeted by the thieves over the weekend.
The burglars damaged a hot-water pipe on a washing machine during the break-in, meaning hot water poured out into the property over the weekend.
The animals were in cages in the same room, which is understood to have overheated, and they died as a result.
A number of electrical items were stolen during the burglary which took place between 4pm on Friday (July 3) and 11pm on Sunday (July 5).
Detective Constable Colin Knight, investigating, said: “This has obviously been a very distressing incident for the victim who returned to find their home had been burgled, a huge amount of damage had been caused by the water and their pets had died.
“I would urge anyone who has any information about this incident to contact police.”
Anyone with any information should call DC Knight on 101, text information to 07786 200 011.
Alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.