Touching scenes as Luton remembers 7/7 bombings

editorial image

A memorial ceremony for those killed in the 7/7 bombings in London, including Luton woman Ojara Ikeagwu, was held in St George’s Square on Tuesday.

Mrs Ikeagwu, a social worker at Hounslow social services, was travelling to work and was killed when a bomb exploded at Russell Square.

'Walk Together' in Luton

'Walk Together' in Luton

At her inquest the 56-year-old mother of three was described by her husband as “an extrovert and she got on well with everyone she came across.

Mr Ikeagwu added: “Her death dealt a big blow to her family that has been difficult to recover from.

“She now has two grandchildren that she will never see.

“The people she was helping and the people she could have helped are all suffering since her death.”

Luton teacher Joan Abbott was also caught up in the terror attack, as she was just 100 yards away from the Tavistock Street bus blast which claimed 13 lives.

To mark the loss of Mrs Ikeagwu and other 7/7 victims, a number of residents conducted a memorial event in St George’s Square at 5.30pm by staging a community walk through Luton town centre.

The group met outside Luton Town Hall and embarked on the walk at 6pm, bringing together schools, councillors and community leaders.

St Mary’s Church interfaith worker Peter Adams said it had been organised by Muslim and Christian faith leaders to show a united front, following last week’s Britain First march and speculation surrounding the Bury Park family who are said to have fled to Syria.

He added: “We want to move beyond the negativity these things bring, and stand together to say our future is together, and we are committed to make it work.

“We are committed to walktogether. These past weeks as we prepared for the visit by Britain First some of us from across the Luton community have been talking a lot.

“We are planning to do a lot more together, to work hard to create opportunities for us to get to know each other better and work for that better future together.”

It was on the morning of July 7, 2005 that the four suicide bombers met at Luton station before heading into London to carry out the atrocity on the capital’s transport network.