Bedfordshire Police are treating yesterday’s suspicious package found on King Street as a hoax and an investigation is underway.
Officers evacuated buildings on King Street and closed two roads following reports of a suspicious package on Tuesday afternoon.
The bomb disposal team arrived at around 5pm and using a robot they found that the device was not viable.
A spokesperson for Bedfordshire Police said: “A suspicious package that was found in King Street, Luton yesterday (Tuesday 9 June) is being treated as a hoax.
“Police were called at approximately 2.30pm to reports that a suspicious device has been discovered.
“Emergency services attended along with an explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) team and found that the device was not viable.
“Officers are treating this as a hoax and are investigating.”
One of the buildings to be evacuated was Age Concern Luton, where director Colette McKeaveney said: “A volunteer on reception had been told that we had to evacuate the building.
“Somebody went down to check and the PCSO said you have to get out quickly.
“We noticed that there were various police officers and PCSOs along the street evacuating the buildings.
“We had to leave the building via the bottom of the street and there were sniffer dogs on the street.
“We were not told anything, just to get out and get out quickly. The police were very calm and competent and it was very quick.”
King Street was closed at Stuart Street and George Street.
One worker, who does not wish to be named, said: “I saw the police evacuating buildings on King Street.
“We were told at that point that we were not allowed to leave the building. That was about 3pm and I was due to go home at 3.30pm, our car park is on King Street and we were told that we were unable to move the cars at that point.
“So we had to lock the gate to the cars and I had to get the bus home. It was quite scary and we were not told anything.
“It is a bit annoying to know now that it was a hoax, it is frustrating that someone has done that.”