Warning to dog owners after fatal tick-borne disease found in East of England for the first time

Dog owners are being alerted to a deadly tick-borne disease that has been found in the UK for the first time.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 20th March 2016, 6:00 am
Dog walkers' warning
Dog walkers' warning

According to reports, one dog has died and several have been taken seriously ill after contracting babesiosis, caused by a parasite carried in the ticks.

There are now fears the disease could spread from the area of Essex where the dogs were walked, despite measures to contain it.

Speaking to the BBC, Clive Swainsbury, a vet at the Forest Veterinary Centre in Harlow, said he had seen some of the four infected dogs.

A tick which can carry the deadly disease

The parasite leads a host dog’s immune system to attack its own blood cells, causing severe anaemia that requires blood transfusion to treat.

Mr Swainsbury warned that the disease will be hard to detect as vets in the UK are not used to it.

At the same time, efforts to contain the spread could be thwarted by wild animals.

He said: “At present we have a very well-defined area.

A tick which can carry the deadly disease

“The problem in the future is that every female tick will lay a couple of thousand eggs and all those offspring from that disease will also carry the disease.

“As mammals move around they will start spreading the disease. Although you can advise dog walkers not to go there, it’s possible that foxes and other animals will transport these ticks.”

According to website PetMD.com, owners are advised to do a thorough body check of their dog to find ticks, which are visible to the naked eye but can be drawn to dark, hidden areas of the animal’s body such as ears, groin and between the toes.

Signs of ticks include dogs excessively scratching or licking a particular area.

To remove a tick, owners are advised to use tweezers to grip the tick by the head and pull it straight out, and not to twist, burn or apply anything to the skin. To kill the tick once it has been removed, put it in a small amount of alcohol, rather than squash it.