Boss Jones frustrated by Luton’s ‘bizarre’ performance

First for sports news
First for sports news

Luton Rugby Club manager Dicky Jones was left disappointed following a ‘bizarre’ performance from his side after losing 26-5 to Letchworth at the weekend.

The result saw Luton remain rooted to the bottom of London One North with minus three points from seven games.

Jones said: “I think we looked good in phases, we spent a lot of time in possession in their 22.

“Again, we weren’t clinical enough, which is something we really need to transform into points.

“Until we start becoming more clinical and getting over the whitewash, we’re not going to win games, and that’s our biggest problem at the moment.

“We seem to be lacking a killer instinct. We get to their five metre line and then it all seems to fall apart, it’s like we’re frightened of it, it’s very bizarre.”

Tries from Richard Stokes, Tatenda Gurure and Richard Penny kept Luton at the bottom with David Hamm going over for the visitors.

The visitors started the game with a shade of bad luck as Gareth Jahn limped off with a knee injury in the first minute.

It took just three more minutes for Letchworth to break down Luton as Stokes got the ball over the line to make it 5- 0 before Simon Hrbek missed the conversion.

The hosts were awarded a penalty 15 minutes in which Hrbek scored this time.

Luton responded well though as Hamm ran on to his own kick over the defence and grounded the ball to make it 8-5, Robert Povey missing the conversion.

Letchworth enjoyed some great possession in the last 20 minutes of the first half as they got the ball out wide to Gurure who sprinted past three players to score the try, Hrbek missing the extras.

Just three minutes later, the home side played a cross kick to Gurure who showed great pace to get beyond the line and score another try to make it 18-5.

Hrbek was off target with the conversion again, but five minutes before the break, he added another penalty.

Robin French was then given a yellow card which Luton failed to take advantage of as they headed into the break with the score at 21-5.

The second half saw Luton completely dominate the game with dangerous attacks but they just couldn’t get the ball over the line.

However, in the 70th minute, with their first bit of possession in Luton’s half, Penny scored a try to make it 26-5 before Hrbek missed yet another conversion.

The last 10 minutes saw Matthew Yang get a yellow card for a late tackle and Dave Munson earn a red for rashly kneeing a Luton player in the head.

This weekend, Luton are without a league match as they entertain Barking next weekend.