Brave Dees go down at Twickenham

Dunstablians lose EDF Intermediate cup final 46-36

Dunstablians put up a spirited fight before going down 46-36 in this afternoon's EDF Energy Intermediate Cup final at Twickenham.

The Bidwell boys made a sensational start, Dave Bradshaw going over after just 43 seconds.

But their dream of following that 2000 Twickenham triumph died when Mounts Bay star Mikaela Mua ran in four tries.

Dees trailed 20-14 at half but put up a magnificent fight in the second-half and made Mounts Bay fight all the way for their victory.

Dunstablians scored five tries, Dave Bradshaw, Laurence White, Steve Armstrong, Richard Butler and Gerhard Swart going over.

Jon White converted four of the tries and got a penalty.

Dees made a sensational start when Bradshaw stormed over the line after just 43 seconds.

Stefaan Myburgh set up the try after an interception and ran 25 yards before moving the ball to Bradshaw.

A member of the club's triumphant 2000 Twickenham squad, Bradshaw finished off the move and Jon White converted from in front of the posts.

Mounts Bay hit back eight minutes later when a flowing move saw Mua go over and Lee Jarvis convert.

In a real end-to-end start Dees almost went back in front when Armstrong failed with a drop-kick attempt after a sustained period of pressure on the Mounts Bay line.

However, Dees did regain the lead in the 21st minute after brilliant work by Armstrong.

He made a 40-yard crossfield run and when the move broke down Director of Rugby Laurence White picked up the ball and produced a sensational dummy before touching down.

Brother Jon again had an easy kick from in front of the posts to give Dees a 14-7 lead.

Mounts Bay reduced the arrears minutes later when Jarvis converted an easy penalty. He then missed a long-range effort.

The Penzance club began to show their power and took the lead for the first time in the 31st minute.

Another flowing move all but brought a try but a magnificent saving tackle by Armstong held up the Bay boys.

Not for long. Mounts Bay got up, moved the ball to the dangerous Mua and they were suddenly 15-14 in front. The Jarvis conversion attempt went wide.

As the half-time whistle approached it was all Mounts Bay and, sure enough, they scored another try a minute before the interval.

This time skipper Ricky Pellow went over after outpacing Laurence White. Again, another wide, difficult conversion attempt failed.

Half-time came with Mounts Bay 20-14 in front and well in control.

Dees made a promising start to the second-half and reduced the arrears with a Jon White penalty in the 45th minute.

Mounts Bay regained control with a try in the 50th minute, Shane Laloata brushing aside a weak Dees challenge.

Jarvis converted from in front of the posts to give the Penzance team a commanding 27-17 lead.

Mua struck against for Mounts Bay five minutes later following another flowing crossfield move.

His third try of the afternoon gave Mounts Bay a 32-17 lead and they looked to have one hand on the cup even though Jarvis missed the conversion.

But never-say-die Dees came storming back with a try of their own.

A superb chip through by Stuart Hall ended with Armstrong touching down.

Jon White followed with a long-range conversion and Dees were back in business at 32-24.

But the unstoppable Mua came again with his fourth try in the 65th minute and Jarvis this time converted it.

Mounts Bay increased their lead to 46-24 when Palepoi Nonu went over after a despairing challenge by the out-of-touch James Ellershaw in the 70th minute.

Jarvis converted from in front of the posts to kill off any hopes of Dees making a comeback.

They didn't see it that way and Laurence White set up Butler for a 77th minute try converted by Jon White.

Then Dees struck again when Swart dived over after a period of pressure in the closing minutes.

Jon White's conversion attempt struck a post and bounced to safety.