Dees suffer late agony at BBOB

First for sports newsFirst for sports news
First for sports news
Dunstablians were beaten 32-27 by Northampton BBOB in their Midlands Three East South clash at the weekend.

The visitors got off to a flying start, with Pete Thompson converting an early penalty for a 3-0 lead.

Northampton had the opportunity to return the favour with a penalty of their own, but the kick sailed wide of the sticks.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

However, they did take the lead shortly after, claiming the first try of the day, with the conversion making it 7-3.

Another penalty saw BBOB move 10-3 in front, but Dave Marshall’s side responded straight from the restart through captain Aaron White-Martinez.

Piling on the pressure and forcing Northampton into conceding a penalty on their own 5m line, White-Martinez, showed great opportunism by quickly taking the penalty and pushing over for the score.

Thompson converted, levelling proceedings at 10-10.

At the break, Harry Denton replaced Richard Cope, as he was introduced for his first-team debut.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The hosts started the brighter of the two sides in the second-half and retook the lead with a second try.

Another penalty saw BBOB’s extend their lead to 18-10, before Dees were back in it once more, when Dave Tuffen put White-Martinez through for his second try of the game.

Thompson added the extras, as Dees trailed 18-17.

The Bidwell Boys had momentum on their side and were quickly on the front foot once more.

Full-back Zach Bourne sent a sublime chip over the top of the opposition defence as the ball fell perfectly for fly-half Thompson and he crossed the whitewash to put his side ahead.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He also slotted the conversion over, giving Dees a 24-18 lead.

After an impressive 10-minute spell, Dees took their foot off the gas and paid a heavy price.

They gave away a line-out at their own 5m line, which led to a Northampton driving maul and eventually saw the home side crash over for a converted try to regain the lead at 25-24.

Thompson restored the lead at 27-25 with another penalty kick, but Northampton weren’t to be denied, as they claimed another try.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

They threw their whole team into a maul and Dees were unable to withstand the opposition power, leading to Northampton scoring the final try of the game, plus conversion, to win 32-27.

Dees are without a game this weekend.

Related topics: