Barton Rovers shock Arlesey Town in county cup

Bedfordshire Senior Cup Quarter-Finals: Arlesey Town 1 Barton Rovers 2

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 29th January 2014, 5:17 pm
Barton Rovers. Photo by Darrell Thornton. wk 45.
Barton Rovers. Photo by Darrell Thornton. wk 45.

Barton Rovers caused a shock in the quarter-finals of the Bedfordshire Senior Cup last night (Tuesday) with an impressive 2-1 win at higher division Arlesey Town.

Goals from Kyle Lincoln (26) and Jermaine Hall (76) won it for Barton after Joseph N’Guessen had levelled matters at the aRMadillo on 64 minutes.

Rovers manager Dan Kennoy was delighted after the game and praised his players for an incredible effort.

He said: “Our-work rate was out of this world tonight and the lads showed they can compete and beat teams in the league above, which will give us all a big boost in the coming weeks to push to make the play-offs this season.

“We are into two semi-finals now, this competition and the North Beds Charity Cup, which gives us a headache with more midweek games to squeeze in, but it keeps an incredible season going and everything to play for.

“We have a big squad and we will need everyone one of them to continue the fight on all fronts.”

The Southern League Premier Division side were immediately put on the back foot from the first minute as Rovers set about causing a cup upset.

Bilal Hassan returned to the visitors’ starting line-up and went close to breaking the deadlock when he beat the offside trap and forced keeper Jack Bonham into a fine save.

Ricky Case’s hard work from box to box was almost rewarded, but he could only find the side netting midway through the first half.

Arlesey could have been reduced to 10 men when Hassan again slipped past his marker and Andre Maltay brought him down just outside the penalty area.

But referee Tim Donnallen, who managed the game and conditions superbly, gave the former Rovers full-back just a talking to.

Rovers took a well deserved lead on 26 minutes when full-back Lincoln’s wicked free-kick evaded everyone and found its way into the far corner.

Kyle Forster in the Barton goal had very little to do in the opening 45 minutes as Rovers’ supremacy forced QPR legend turned Arlsey boss, Rufus Brevett, into two changes at the interval.

Barton continued to boss the second half and Bobby Dance should have killed the game off on 54 minutes when he raced through one on one against Bonham, but his deft chip over the onrushing keeper narrowly missed the target.

Five minutes later a ricochet off Joe Reynolds fell kindly to N’Guessen who dispatched the ball past Forster, despite the keeper getting a hand to it.

Rovers reacted bu upping another gear and, with the introduction of Jermaine Hall and Rob Hastings for Hassan and Dance, it wasn’t long until the Barton’s front line was causing problems again.

Case fed Hall on 72 minutes, who twisted and turned inside the Arlesey penalty area, causing Kevin M’Bala to lunge and bring the striker down as Donnellan pointed straight to the spot.

Hall proceeded to step up and fire home and propel Rovers into the semi-finals for the second successive year.

Luton Town game against Leighton Town at Bell Close, meanwhile, was postponed because of the weather.

Barton go to AFC Hayes in the league on Saturday and Dunstable Town head to Daventry Town, with the pair meeting in a Bedfordshire derby at Sharpenhoe Road on Tuesday night.

Attendance: 51.