Dunstable hold on to defeat Terras

Southern League Premier Division: Dunstable Town 2 Weymouth 1
James Kaloczi scored Dunstable's winner at the weekendJames Kaloczi scored Dunstable's winner at the weekend
James Kaloczi scored Dunstable's winner at the weekend

Dunstable Town picked up an excellent victory over promotion chasing Weymouth at the weekend, as their push for the play-offs continues to gather pace.

The hosts even had to play the final quarter of an hour with 10 men as striker Victor Osobu was dismissed for a second yellow card, but Dunstable held on to move up to seventh, just four points off fifth.

The Blues were depleted with injuries and unavailability as Steve Wales moved to full back, while Gary Wharton came in, with only two of the allocated substitutes fully fit.

Early on, the Terras missed a gilt edged chance through Adam Kelly after good work from Stewart Yetton, while Dunstable went close as Adam Watkins fired wide.

On 17 minutes, Dunstable were ahead when Watkins was fouled and Danny Talbot netted a superb free kick from just outside the area.

Weymouth redoubled their efforts with Kelly firing over the bar, before seeing another effort strike the upright.

Wharton went on a mazy run for the hosts, testing Jordan Holmes who held on well, with Blues keeper Paul Bastock called into action twice from Yetton.

As the Terras pressed, James Kaloczi, Luke Pennell and Talbot defended valiantly, while front two Connor Calcutt and John Frendo held the ball up well when they could.

Goalscorer Talbot then made an excellent goal-line clearance, as did Kaloczi to keep their side in front at the break.

On the hour mark, Dunstable doubled their advantage when Talbot’s splendid cross was headed home by Kaloczi.

The visitors tried to get back into the game as Kelly’s effort was saved by Bastock with Chris Shephard off target, while they also hit the bar once more, Bastock clearing the danger.

On 71 minutes, Weymouth reduced the deficit when Dean Evans headed home from a corner.

Dunstable brought on Lee Roache for Frendo, while Calcutt had his shot saved before Osobu saw red after picking up two cautions, with the hosts replacing Wharton with Jemale McKenzie-Lowe.

The hosts managed to hold out though as manager Tony Fontenelle said: “We deserved to win at Biggleswade (on Tuesday night, 3-3) and only drew. If we had beaten them and drawn this game, we would have been happy.

“So we got the points even if it seemed the wrong way around. It makes up for St Neots defeat and Biggleswade draw, as we maximised our opportunities and they did not.”

Dunstable are back in action tomorrow night when they host Slough Town.

Blues: Paul Bastock, Steve Wales, Luke Pennell, Danny Talbot, James Kaloczi, Adam Pepera, Adam Watkins, Gary Wharton (Jemale McKenzie-Lowe 80), John Frendo (Lee Roache 70), Connor Calcutt, Victor Osobu.

Subs not used: Zack Reynolds, David Keenleyside, Steven Gregory.

Weymouth: Jordan Holmes, Ashley Wells, Mark Cooper, Dean Evans, Pat Baldwin, Calvin Brooks, Adam Kelly, Chris McPhee, Stewart Yetton, Ben Thompson, Chris Shephard.

Subs used: Mark Molesley, George Rigg. Subs not used: Billy Lowes, Jake Hanwell, Jordan Copp.

Referee: Shaun Berry.

Attendance: 151.

Related topics: