Four out of four as Dunstable battle to Hanwell win

Dunstable Town 3 Hanwell Town 2

Edge of the seat stuff at Creasey Park saw Dunstable Town make heavy weather of beating Hanwell Town 3-2 in Molten Spartan SML Premier on Tuesday night.

The Blues should have safely maintained their 100 per cent record this season, but two disallowed goals and some errant strikes gave the visitors a fighting chance.

Twice Hanwell came from behind and refused to be overawed by the Blues who have now won all four of their league games to stay top of the table.

Hanwell, who were relegated last year, obtained a close season reprieve and have strengthened their team.

The bulk of the first half chances fell to the hosts and, after just two minutes, good work from Jonathan Cooper gave Leon Cashman the chance to open the scoring but he dragged wide.

Shortly afterwards, Chris Francis was impeded in the box and after the referee consulted his linesman, a penalty was awarded that Cooper duly dispatched.

The Blues continued to play attractive football with Hanwell defending well and looking to counter attack.

The visitors equalised five minutes before the break when Terry Smith picked up a defensive ricochet and fired into the top corner with Lewis Kidd well beaten.

Dunstable were denied a second when a deflected cross was plucked off the line by Kieran Jimmy, before Tony Burnett restored Town’s lead with a remarkable individual goal moments later.

He emerged from a crowded midfield and continued his run before striking a firm shot into the bottom corner.

It took Hanwell just two second half minutes to level through Lewis Ochua’s free-kick as they enjoyed their best spell of the match before Dunstable fought back.

Nathan Frater was denied more than once and substitute Roache weaved his way through the defence but his shot hit the side netting.

Frater appeared to have scored with a smart header but was adjudged offside before he netted Burnett’s cross on 58 minutes for what turned out to be the winner.

A Cashman lob was saved and Moses Olaleye was thwarted by the defence as Dunstable needed some good late saves from Kidd and some staunch defending to ensure victory.

Director of football John McLoughlin said: “It was another great display. We rested Jonathan Barnett and Lee Roache and Graeme Buchanan was away on holiday so it shows the strength of the squad.

On Saturday, Dunstable beat Hadley 4-1 thanks to goals from Barnett and Burnett, plus a double from Frater.

This Saturday they visit North Greenford United in the preliminary round of the FA Cup and on Wednesday travel to title rivals Aylesbury United in the league.