Barton hit Staines Lammas for eight in FA Cup

Nat Peacock
Nat Peacock

Rovers sailed through their FA Cup tie at Staines Lammas on Friday night with an emphatic 8-1 win.

Four goals in eight minutes swung the tie Barton’s way when the hosts were reduced to 10 men.

Joint manager West Byrne said: “I’m very happy to come away with such an emphatic result. Credit to Staines Lammas as they caused us problems in the first 30 minutes and the red card changed the outcome of the game.

“Nat Peacock and again Keshi Anderson were on fire but collectively a good performance with Louis Lee looking more like his old self.

“The goal of the game was a 35 yard thunderbolt from the impressive Dale Turney. The result was impressive but we also created four or five good chances which we didn’t take, and maybe could have scored 10 while Staines Lammas tired in the second half.”

After navigating the M25 it wasn’t long before Barton drove through the hosts’ defence and Nat Peacock had the ball in the back of the net, sadly the assistant referee raised a very late offside flag to rule the goal out.

Not deterred by this on his next attack Peacock made sure his goal would stand this time with a simple tap in.

It was all one way traffic but with Rovers going forward in numbers, Staines broke and with the ball at Vinny Hodge’s feet he unleashed a thunderbolt into the top corner from 20 yards giving visiting keeper Kyle Forster no chance.

The game’s turning point came just after the half hour mark when a woeful two footed studs up over the ball challenge saw Staines reduced to 10 men.

Rovers doubled the lead on 36 minutes when a Keshi Anderson shot was blocked only to see Peacock side foot home the rebound. Kick off and goal, Peacock completed his hat-trick on 37 minutes with a well worked goal before Anderson made it 4-1 only a minute later with some good footwork.

Peacock completed a 
quality display by the Rovers when he latched on to a Billal Hassan through ball to slot home.

The second half continued in the same vein as Anderson slotted home nicely with a shot from 12 yards with only a minute of the half gone.

The sixth goal looked to have killed off the opposition and was followed by a fifth for the night by man of the match Peacock for 7-1.

Barton ended in great style with the goal of the evening from substitute Dale Turney who drove a rocket into the top corner from 35 yards.

It ended in a clinical no nonsense display from Barton with every player contributing. Not once did any player take his foot off the gas and this continued for the whole 90 minutes.

Rovers will now face either Northwood or Kings Langley in the First Qualifying Round after they drew on Saturday.

Next up at Sharpemhoe Road on Saturday will be the visit of Aylesbury Utd where Rovers will be looking to keep up their winning ways.