Blues held at the death by Dolphins

David Keenleyside in action against Poole. Pic: Chris White.
David Keenleyside in action against Poole. Pic: Chris White.

Southern League Premier Division: Dunstable Town 1 Poole Town 1

Dunstable Town were denied victory over league leaders Poole Town after conceding a stoppage time goal at the weekend.

Although the equaliser was no more than the visitors deserved, the Blues can take credit from an excellent performance as they ended a run of back-to-back defeats.

It was the hosts who had taken the lead after just four minutes as recent signing Steve Wales saw his shot blocked and Adam Watkins was on hand to find the net.

Home keeper Paul Bastock saved from Luke Roberts as he produced a fine display throughout, although Connor Calcutt went close, heading firmly into Nick Hutchings’ arms, with the stopper also denying Victor Osobu.

As the half drew to a close, Roberts blasted over, before Bastock came into his own after the break, and when he was beaten, Zack Reynolds cleared off the line.

Poole kept attacking, but time after time they were thwarted by well-timed defensive play or vintage goalkeeping from Bastock.

Dunstable brought on Lee Roache, Gary Wharton and Chris Vardy, as Wharton could have doubled the lead, only to fire at Hutchings with others better placed.

Wales was also wayward, but with time ticking away, the Dolphins launched one last attack and despite Bastock’s excellent reaction stop, Luke Burbidge netted from outside the box to secure a share of the spoils.

The result saw Dunstable climb up to 14th place, and they travel to Bedworth United this weekend.

Dunstable Town: Paul Bastock, Zack Reynolds, Luke Pennell (Chris Vardy 62), Steven Gregory, James Kaloczi, Adam Pepera, Adam Watkins, David Keenleyside, Connor Calcutt (Lee Roache 65), Steven Wales, Victor Osobu (Gary Wharton 85).

Sub not used: Danny Talbot.

Poole Town: Nick Hutchings, Lewis Tallack, Lewis Lindsay, Michael Walker, Jamie Whisken, Carl Pettefer (Jack Dickson), Luke Burbidge, Steve Devlin, Jamie White, Marvin Brooks, Luke Roberts.

Subs not used: Alan Connell, Toby Holmes, Tom Rees.

Referee: Jason Richardson.

Attendance: 152.