Dunstable defeat Barton on penalties after thriller

Steven Gregory
Steven Gregory

Dunstable Town won a thrilling Red Insure Cup first round tie penalty shoot out against Barton Rovers on Tuesday night after the 90 minutes had ended in a 4-4 draw.

Both sides made changes to their team from the weekend, as Dunstable gave starts to Jamie Head, new signing Luke Riddick, Ben Mackey and Arel Amu.

The hosts came close early on as Riddick sliced wide, while Mackey was off target too.

Barton then took the lead when Anthony Ottaway converted on 10 minutes.

Dunstable were soon awarded a penalty, but Ben Herd was denied by Kyle Forster’s fine save.

It was 1-1 on 17 minutes though when Terry Dixon set up Mackey to net his first Blues goal.

Scott Davies powered a long range shot against the bar as it remained 1-1 at the break.

Rovers were back in front on the hour mark when Mahmot Calgar finished exquisitely.

Barton then made it 3-1 as they won a spotkick which was converted by Kev Kilroy.

With time running out, Dunstable started their fight back as Hutton bagged the goal his outstanding performance deserved on 78 minutes.

It was 3-3 moments later when sub Steven Gregory was on target.

Rather than let their heads drop, Rovers went back up the other end to lead 4-3 with two minutes to go as Connor Vincent found the net.

Just when Barton were sensing an upset, Gregory popped up to level in injury time, as the game went straight to penalties.

Kilroy, Lorrell Smith, Caglar and Vincent all scored for Barton, with Davies, Dixon, Herd and Hutton on target for Dunstable.

Head was the hero though as he saved from Bilal Hassan’s and up stepped Chris Marsh to win the tie 5-4.

Dunstable are back in league action this weekend at home to Weymouth, while Barton visit Guernsey in the FA Trophy.

Dunstable: Head, Herd, Sandy, Ruddick, Blackett, (Leach), Davies, Beasant, (Gregory), Amu, (Marsh), Mackey, Dixon, Hutton.

Subs not used: Chambers, Fontanelle.

Rovers: Forster, Hassan, Addae, Kilroy, Vaughan, Terry, Keating, Sawyer, Mahmot Calgar, Vincent, Ottaway.

Subs used: O’Neill, Reynolds, Smith.

Attendance: 60.