Dunstable suffer injury-time defeat

Action from Dunstable Town's 2-1 defeat to Chippenham
Action from Dunstable Town's 2-1 defeat to Chippenham

Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division: Dunstable Town 1 Chippenham Town 2

Dunstable Town were beaten by an injury-time strike as they lost 2-1 to Chippenham in their opening Southern League Premier Division clash of the season on Saturday.

Adam Watkins had an early effort for the home side, but it was the Bluebirds who went ahead on 12 minutes as James Guthrie’s shot was deflected past Paul Bastock by home defender Zack Reynolds.

Dunstable tried to respond as Lorenzo Ferrari and Matt Nolan saw headers go wide, while the Blues had a let-off when Bastock’s overly-physical challenge in the area went un-noticed.

The hosts almost levelled on the stroke of half time as James Kaloczi powered forward, but lobbed over the bar, while Nolan flicked off target and David Keenleyside’s effort was deflected behind.

Dunstable started the second period brightly, although they were granted a slice of luck when Ashan Holgate missed a glorious chance.

Nolan then fired into the side-netting and Watkins was denied by Kent Kaupinnen, who also saved Ferrari’s volley too.

Recent signings Mason Spence and Ollie Thorne came on for Ferrari and Kaloczi as Dunstable thought they had equalised only for Marsh’s shot to be cleared off the line.

With time running out, the Blues did draw level through Stewart Talbot, only to see Andy Sandell net what was the winner for the visitors moments later.

Dunstable travel to Histon tomorrow evening.

Dunstable: Paul Bastock, Zack Reynolds (Ryan Plowright 76), Charlie Smith, Danny Talbot, James Kaloczi (Mason Spence 60), Shane Blackett, Adam Watkins, David Keenleyside, Matt Nolan, Christopher Marsh, Lorenzo Ferrari (Ollie Thorne 60).

Subs not used: Bart Pedrycz, Lee Roache.

Chippenham: Kent Kaupinnen, Connor McCormack, Matt Jones (Jon Beedon 65), Michael Pook, Greg Tindle, Mark Preece, Alex Ferguson, Matt Smith, Ashan Holgate, Andy Sandell, James Guthrie.

Subs not used: Ryan Campbell, Luke Ballinger, Ian Harvey, Lee Phillips.

Referee: Stephen Bates.

Attendance: 107.