VIDEO: Talbot at the double as Dunstable defeat Merthyr

Lee Roache in possession on Saturday - pic: Chris White
Lee Roache in possession on Saturday - pic: Chris White

Southern League Premier Division: Dunstable Town 2 Merthyr Town 1

Dunstable Town ended their run of three successive defeats with victory against Merthyr Town on Saturday.

The Blues were on their way within a minute as referee Kevin Howick awarded Dunstable a free kick after keeper Glyn Garner picked up a backpass and Danny Talbot rifled his shot into the top corner.

It was 2-0 on nine minute when Garner cleaned out striker Lee Roache in the area to concede a penalty which Talbot converted with a textbook finish.

The midfielder then came close to a first half hat-trick, with his shot cleared off the line, before Adam Watkins fired on to the roof of the net.

Merthyr finally upped their game as Corey Jenkins was denied by Jamie Head, who made an excellent stop to repel Jarkat Wright’s blistering attempt, while Zack Reynold’s goal-line intervention was also crucial.

After the break, with 20 minutes to go, David Keenleyside handled a Martyrs corner that looked destined for the let and was duly sent off.

Ian Traylor stepped up to make it 2-1 from the spot as a rejuvenated Merthyr looked for an equaliser, although Dunstable thought they had a third, when Roache combined well with Gary Wharton to score, only to be adjudged offside.

Late on, Traylor fluffed his lines from a good position, while there were gutsy interventions from Adam Watkins and James Kaloczi, with David Long-King impressing too.

Dunstable, who are now seventh in the table, travel to Slough Town this weekend.

Dunstable: Jamie Head, Howard Hall, Zack Reynolds, Danny Talbot (Steve Wales 75), James Kaloczi ©, Adam Pepera, Adam Watkins, David Longe-King, Lee Roache (Connor Calcutt 86), David Keenleyside, Gary Wharton.

Subs not used: Chris Vardy, Stephen Wake.

Merthyr: Glyn Garner, Adam Davies (Jaye Bowen), James Bloom, Ashley Evans, Scott Tancock, Rhys Baggridge, Corey Jenkins, Jarkat Wright, Kayne McGlaggon, Keyon Refell, Ian Traylor.

Subs not used: Gethin Jones, Cameron Clarke, Chris Hugh, Jon Brown.

Referee, Kevin Howick.

Attendance: 149.