Wharton and Calcutt at the double as Dunstable hammer Bideford

Steven Wales in action for Dunstable against Bideford
Steven Wales in action for Dunstable against Bideford

Southern League Premier Division: Dunstable Town 5 Bideford 0

Dunstable Town hit struggling Bideford for five with an excellent second half performance at Creasey Park on Saturday.

Conditions had spoilt the first period, which saw the Blues in front through James Kaloczi’s header on 40 minutes, while Gary Wharton immediately added another, before they ran riot after the break, scoring three more without reply.

The hosts had midfielder Adam Watkins back, with Chris Vardy continuing in the place of the suspended Victor Osobu, and Luke Pennell was on the bench, ahead of return to Fleetwood Town where is currently on trial.

Bideford’s Ben Wood went close early on, as Dunstable replied with Connor Calcutt heading wide and Steve Wales shooting over,

A groin injury saw Steven Gregory replaced by Wharton as Dunstable threatened sporadically, Calcutt’s angled attempt missing the target.

The deadlock was then broken on 40 minutes when a corner was swung over and Kaloczi flicked into the net, while Wharton made it 2-0, lobbing the ball over Kyle Moore.

In the second period, Dunstable moved further in front when Talbot sent over a corner that Calcutt buried with a firm header after an hour.

Watkins made way for Pennell on 73 minutes and Talbot’s excellent free kick was well saved by Moore.

Home keeper Paul Bastock then denied Kevin Squire, before Lee Roache came off the bench to display his customary predatory skills, finishing smartly with five minutes to go.

The fifth then arrived in stoppage time when Dunstable were awarded a penalty and Calcutt emphatically converted as manager Tony Fontenelle said: “We were not that impressive in the first half, and it took us 40 minutes to score.

“Remember too that Bideford have only won three games in the league this season.

“I still feel we need to improve our performance against the stronger teams, but of course I am delighted with the win and the three points.

“I feel that things are beginning to take the shape we have strived for recently.”

Dunstable now host AFC Dunstable in the Beds Senior Cup round two on Tuesday night.

Dunstable: Paul Bastock, David Keenleyside, Zack Reynolds, Danny Talbot, James Kaloczi, Adam Pepera, Adam Watkins, Steve Wales (Lee Roache), Connor Calcutt, Steven Gregory (Gary Wharton).

Sub not used: Jemale McKenzie-Lowe.

Bideford: Kyle Moore, Jan Sampson, Nick Barker, Ed Palmer, Chris McGrath, Mick Milton, Billy Tucker (Jamie Chamberlain), Stephen Read (Liam Prynn), Kevin Squire, Matt Andrew, Ben Wood.

Subs not used: Oneil Odufin, Dan Harrison.

Referee: James Vallance.

Attendance: 109.