Adebayo is the match-winner as Town complete astonishing second half comeback to beat Sheffield Wednesday

Elijah Adebayo rises highest to head home Town's winner against Sheffield Wednesday this afternoonElijah Adebayo rises highest to head home Town's winner against Sheffield Wednesday this afternoon
Elijah Adebayo rises highest to head home Town's winner against Sheffield Wednesday this afternoon
Championship: Luton Town 3 Sheffield Wednesday 2

A quite magnificent and truly brilliant second half comeback from Luton saw the Hatters emerge 3-2 winners over Sheffield Wednesday at Kenilworth Road this afternoon.

There had only looked like one winner when referee Michael Salisbury whistled for the interval, the visitors 2-0 to the good thanks to Josh Windass's double, having 14 attempts to Town's one, the hosts a pale shadow of the side who had impressed against Millwall in midweek and lucky to be only two behind.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

However, a triple change by Town boss Nathan Jones breathed life into his troops and with 15 minutes gone, they had wiped off that deficit thanks to strikes by Kal Naismith and Ryan Tunnicliffe.

With both sides then having chances in the final stages, it was Luton who took theirs when it came, Harry Cornick hanging up a cross where new hero Elijah Adebayo rose highest to power home a downward header at the far post to win it, sending manager Jones on a Jose-Mourinho style sprint down the touchline.

It had all looked like being a very different outcome an hour or so earlier, as the Hatters made just one change to their side from the 1-1 draw against Millwall on Tuesday night, skipper Sonnny Bradley missing out due to a tight thigh, Matty Pearson back in from his hamstring problem.

Town got off to the worst possible start on six minutes as Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall gave the ball away from a short goal kick, allowing Callum Paterson to reach the byline and he cut it back for Windass to prod home from close range.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The visitors threatened again inside 10 minutes, Windass this time off target from outside the box, as Town simply could just not get going, looking miles off it.

Julian Borner was unable to direct his header on target from a corner, as Kadeem Harris saw two shots deflected behind as well, with Luton still no showing signs of waking from their early slumbers.

The visitors should have gone 2-0 ahead on 22 minutes, as Town's ponderous defence was sprung wide open, Windass going clean through, but faced with just Sluga to beat, he lifted wastefully over the bar.

That saw home chief Jones alter things on the field, moving Naismith to the centre of defence, while Jordan Clark came out to the left hand side.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Town's recent addition made a superb and absolutely vital challenge when left one v one against Windass to prevent the visitors attacker from going clean through again as the Hatters defence was teetering at times, badly outnumbered when Wednesday went forward.

Windass was being afforded the freedom of Kenilworth Road to do as he pleased, Luton finally getting out to block one shot, before Matt Penney took aim from outside the box, Sluga parrying, an offside Paterson hammering over from close range.

Any hopes that Luton had of getting through to the break just a goal behind disappeared into smoke with two minutes of the half remaining, a cross reaching the completely unmarked Windass and he rifled into the top corner.

Jones reacted to the abysmal first half display with a triple change for the second period, Joe Morrell, Martin Cranie and Ince making way for Cornick, Glen Rea and Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The changes had the desired effect as Luton were back in the contest with their first attack, a low corner met by Naismith, who managed to divert a clever left footed attempt into the net to pull one back.

It got even better for the hosts on 58 minutes as Adebayo did marvellously on the left hand side, holding the ball up and then sending a low cross into the area that Tunnicliffe showed a superb desire to reach ahead of anyone else, side-footing firmly home for his first of the season and out of nowhere, the hosts were level at 2-2.

Adebayo, who got better and better as the game wore on, displayed excellent close control to wriggle around his marker in the area and fashion an opportunity, but could only fire into the side-netting.

Mpanzu couldn't quite stretch to reach Dewsbury-Hall's searching cross, but the Owls weren't without their moments too, Paterson volleying Barry Bannan's cross narrowly wide of the target midway through the half.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The game then quietened down somewhat after an absorbing opening, although Town still looked for a winner, Tunnicliffe hammering well over from 20 yards with eight minutes to go.

Luton did complete their comeback though with just four minute left, when some wonderful wing play by Cornick saw him stand up a cross to the far post.

It was met by Adebayo rising highest to power a downward header that went in despite the best efforts of Wildsmith and already show his work with Mick Harford on improving his headed goals was paying dividends.

Having been criticised for the manner in which they tried to see the game out in midweek against Millwall, this time Luton played it perfectly, going for the corner when needed, but still retaining a threat, Cornick bursting away, and just failing to pick out a team-mate.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It mattered not on this occasion though as Town could celebrate a first home win in the league since the turn of the year and move 12 points away from the relegation zone on what was a true rollercoaster of a second tier contest.

Hatters: Simon Sluga, Martin Cranie (Glen Rea 46), Kal Naismith, Matty Pearson ©, Dan Potts, Joe Morrell (Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu 46), Ryan Tunnicliffe, Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Jordan Clark, Tom Ince (Harry Cornick 46), Elijah Adebayo.

Subs not used: James Shea, Danny Hylton, George Moncur, James Bree, James Collins, Luke Berry.

Owls: Joe Wildsmith, Callum Paterson (Jordan Rhodes 68), Sam Hutchinson, Kadeem Harris, Barry Bannan (C), Julian Borner (Chey Dunkley 83), Matt Penney (Adam Reach 68), Tom Lees, Josh Windass (Jack Marriott 78), Osaze Urhoghide, Izzy Brown.

Subs not used: Liam Palmer, Joey Pelupessy, Alex Hunt, Luke Jackson, Elias Kachunga.

Booked: Rea 83, Urhoghide 85.

Referee: Michael Salisbury.