Hatters chief admits he should have been 'braver' and changed things earlier against QPR

Town boss wishes he had taken the chance to freshen his side up
Kazenga LuaLua looks to burst forward during his cameo against QPR last nightKazenga LuaLua looks to burst forward during his cameo against QPR last night
Kazenga LuaLua looks to burst forward during his cameo against QPR last night

Luton chief Nathan Jones admitted he should have made changes earlier than he did during last night’s 1-1 draw against QPR at Kenilworth Road.

The Hatters boss saw his side leading 1-0 at the break through James Collins’ 19th minute penalty, with Rangers starting to show signs of life after falling behind.

They carried that threat on in the second period, dominating proceedings, particularly when Bright Osayi-Samuel was in possession, and it was no surprise the visitors drew level on 65 minutes, Dominic Ball firing home after an incisive counter attack.

Jones had been looking to bring Martin Cranie on before the equaliser, doing so moments afterwards, while he also make a triple substitution with eight minutes to go, Danny Hylton, George Moncur and Kazenga LuaLua coming on.

The trio seeing Luton finally wrest the initiative back for the closing stages, threatening a winner themselves, before time ultimately ran out, meaning the Hatters remained in the bottom three.

Looking back on his decisions, Jones said: “We would have liked to have done it a little bit earlier and maybe I should have freshened up the front ones a little bit earlier as when Hylton and Moncur and Kaz on, they did give us a real impetus.

"That's maybe my fault, but you make these calls.

“End of the day, God willing we stay up, this will be a positive point.

"I would have liked three, I really would have.

"Maybe I should have been a little braver in parts of the game, but it’s another point."

Hylton almost set up a winner for the Hatters, his low drilled cross met by Dan Potts at the far post, but the defender couldn't mark his 150th appearance with a goal, denied by keeper Joe Lumley.

Jones continued: “Those are the moments you have to take.

"Harry's (Cornick) been through and a slightly more difficult one than his chance last week (against Barnsley), but we defend well, wait for those moments, and then hopefully we take them.

"But it's another point, another solid performance, it's just now we need to win a minimum one of these next two games.”

It had looked like Potts had given Town a two-goal lead just moments into the second half, jumping highest to nod home James Bree’s corner, only for the goal to be ruled out for a push on keeper Lumley.

The Town chief added: “It’s a block on the keeper, it’s real shame because the referee didn't see any of their blocks, but saw ours, and that's a real disappointing thing.

“We've had some glorious chances, in terms of Harry's clean in, Pottsy right at the end and those are the ones you've got to take, but they’ve given me everything.”