Jones relieved to end Town's miserable run of defeats when conceding first on the road
Hatters record a first comeback win since October 2, 2018
Luton boss Nathan Jones was mightily relieved to finally end the Hatters' miserable record when conceding first on their travels stretching back to 2018 with a 3-1 win at Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday.
Prior to the weekend, whenever Town had been breached first away from Kenilworth Road, they had failed to muster a comeback and triumph since a League One clash at Oxford United on October 2, 2018.
Then, Ricky Holmes put the U’s ahead, before James Collins levelled and Dan Potts won it in stoppage time, but since then, Luton had gone behind on 28 occasions, with just two draws, losing the other 26 fixtures, including 25 in a row.
Even scoring a goal had proved problematic as the last 18 games had seen Town manage to find the net on a mere three occasions after going behind too, so there was definitely a sense of history repeating itself at Adams Park on Saturday once Anis Mehmeti converted a penalty in the first half.
However with 10 minutes to go, the Hatters hit back and hit back in style, George Moncur's excellent free kick finding the net and then Kazenga LuaLua swiftly burying his shot from outside the box into the top corner, Elijah Adebayo adding some even later gloss.
It was also the first time Luton had won a Championship clash after going behind since April 17, 2006 when they triumphed 2-1 at Plymouth Argyle thanks to late strikes from Rowan Vine and Calvin Andrew, as speaking afterwards.
With the victory moving the Hatters up to 13th and some 18 points clear of the bottom three, Jones said: “That’s good, Mick (Harford, assistant boss) told me that before the game, so when we went down 1-0 we were a bit fearful, but we’re just delighted we got the win.
"It takes us into a real good position, cements our place in mid-table, and not that we had any fear, but it curtails any fears of anything."