LOAN WATCH: Kioso starts as Cobblers hammer Pompey

Action for Osho too as Dale drop to the bottom

By Mike Simmonds
Tuesday, 9th March 2021, 9:51 am
Updated Tuesday, 9th March 2021, 3:53 pm
Peter Kioso in action for Northampton against Portsmouth on Saturday
Peter Kioso in action for Northampton against Portsmouth on Saturday

Luton defender Peter Kioso started as Northampton climbed out of the League One relegation zone with a superb 4-1 win over promotion-chasing Portsmouth on Saturday.

The Cobblers notched all four goals in the opening 45 minutes, as Ryan Watson scoring twice in quick succession, before Fraser Horsfall made it 3-0.

Will Hoskins added a fourth before the break, while after the interval, Kioso had an effort saved by Craig MacGillivray.

Substitute Ellison Harrison beat ex-Hatters loanee Jonathan Mitchell from the penalty spot to make it 4-1, but Cobblers weren’t breached again, moving up to 19th in the table.

Gabriel Osho was in from the beginning as Rochdale dropped to the bottom after a 2-0 defeat at a resurgent Sunderland.

The Black Cats went ahead on seven minutes when Dion Sanderson headed home from a free kick.

It was 2-0 just after the half hour when Charlie Wyke nodded beyond Gavin Bazunu.

Osho was replaced on 68 minutes by Alex Newby, but Dale couldn't hit back, making it eight games without a win.

Elliot Lee missed Oxford United's 0-0 draw against Charlton Athletic with a knee injury, although is expected to be back in time for next weekend's game at Hull City.

Josh Neufville was in the Yeovil team who saw their run of three straight National League wins ended with a 3-0 defeat at Chesterfield.

The first goal arrived after the break when Akwasi Asante netted, while Tom Whelan (68) and Jak McCourt (78) completing the rout, Neufville having been replaced on the hour mark.

Keeper Harry Isted was in the Wealdstone side who let a first half lead slip as they lost 2-1 to FC Halifax Town.

The visitors went closest first, ex-Luton defender Jack Senior volleying narrowly wide, Isted making a brilliant point blank save from Tahvon Campbell.

Town’s stopper tipped another effort from Senior over, before the Stones went ahead, Dennon Lewis firing home.

After the break, Jake Hyde made it 1-1, before the visitors grabbed a winner with seven minutes to go, Jack Earing thundering a shot into the top corner.