Midweek woes continue for AFC Dunstable

Molten Spartan SML Premier Division: AFC Dunstable 4 Hillingdon Borough 4

AFC Dunstable’s home midweek blues continued as they threw away another two points on Wednesday night in a game they should have won to close the gap on leaders Sun Sports.

The result means AFC are still to register a win at home midweek after five attempts and have conceded 13 goals and dropped 11 points in the process.

After the solid performance on Saturday that yielded a clean sheet, AFC boss Steve Heath decided to name an unchanged side and it could not be so different.

The hosts should have been 1-0 up in the third minute but somehow Fabio Bufano contrived to miss the target from a yard out, while a rasping drive from Moses Olaye struck the upright with Hillingdon’s keeper Frank Attwell well beaten.

AFC finally took the lead on 25 minutes when Chris Francis netted his first goal of the season from close range.

The home side continued to press and it seemed it would be only a matter of time before they would register again.

Jamie Warne went close, while Jimmy Hartley had a shot cleared off the line, but Borough levelled just before the break when Charles Connor lashed home.

After a tongue lashing from boss Steve Heath, AFC were back in front moments into the second half as Leon Simpson broke clear and to score.

Simpson outstripped the visitors defence and hit the post, but Francis quickly doubled his tally as AFC led 3-1.

Unfortunately, Heath’s side then hit the self destruct button as firstly Taishan Griffith conceded a penalty.

Ricky Perks in the AFC goal saved the spot kick but the home defence gave him no protection from the rebound and Roy Byron pounced to pull a goal back on the hour.

It got worse seven minutes later as a well-worked free kick was put into the corner and Griffiths and Hartley left the ball for each other allowing Ben Dunkwu to cross for Byron to score again.

Back came the home side and from a great Newman Carney free kick, Hartley was on hand to score to put AFC back in the lead, but they failed to hold on as Tim Sogunro levelled in injury time.

A lost for words Heath said: “How we did not win that game I will never know. Oh yes I do, if we continue to lose concentration at important times in a game, we will be punished and that was a prime example.

“The team performed so well on Saturday and as we were so solid, I thought we had turned the corner.

“That was the complete opposite and if we are to be title contenders, we have to be switched on for the whole 90 minutes.

“If we don’t on Sunday in the FA Vase, we will be found out. We will really need to address our home results, as that is now 16 points we have dropped and that is not championship form.”