UPDATED: Dunstable Town battle back to win through in the FA Trophy

No Caption ABCDENo Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE
FA Trophy First Round Qualifying: Dunstable Town 3 Peacehaven & Telscombe 2

Dunstable Town fought back from two goals down and netted a late winner as they edged to a 3-2 victory over Peacehaven & Telscombe in FA Trophy first round qualifying on Saturday.

The Blues failed to settled as the visitors went ahead after just six minutes through Charlie Walker’s goal.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Sussex side proceeded to dominate, restricting Dunstable to just two chances as Lee Roache hit the side netting and saw another shot well saved.

And the Magpies doubled their lead on 33 minutes when Walker took advantage of some defensive hesitancy from to bag a crisp second goal.

Second best Dunstable failed to rally before the interval, but put in a resurgent second half showing.

Danny Murphy pulled a goal back seven minutes in when his excellent free-kick found the bottom left-hand corner.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

And the Blues levelled five minutes later when keeper Jack Smith’s long clearance was controlled on the turn by Tony Burnett who volleyed a spectacular equaliser.

Dunstable proceeded to dominated, but the Ryman League side held firm in search of a replay unti, with three minutes to go, Burnett’s cross found the unmarked Chris Marsh who rolled home the winner to send Dunstable into the next round.

Director of football John McLoughlin added: “It was another bad start, but we changed things at half time and our character and quality was to much for Peacehaven, and we are delighted to be in the next round.

“I am really pleased for Marsh who got the winner as he was disappointed after missing his penalty against Aylesbury.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“We hope to add to the squad this week to strengthen the team, but we are still in fine form.”

Dunstable have been handed a tough draw in the next round, away at Calor Southern League South and West Division side Merthyr Tydfil, who have not lost at home all season and are currently fourth in the table.

The Blues host Marlow in Division One Central on Saturday.

Blues: Jack Smith, Danny Hutchins, Danny Murphy, Marc Leach, Joseph Bruce, Moses Olaleye (C), Adam Watkins, Tony Burnett, Lee Roache (Damen Pickering 57 minutes), Nathan Frater, Christopher Marsh. Substitutes not used: Warren Plowright, Tony Fontanelle, Louis Porcelli.

Magpies: Anthony Di Bernado, Jon Mezetti, Steve Metcalf, Dan McLaughlan, Ash Jones (C), Craig Richards, Tom Lawley, Lloyd Cotton, Charlie Walker, Tom Burton, Joe Dryer. Subsitutes used: Jordan Burstow, Josh Jones, Lloyd James. Substitutes not used: James Hammond, Jamie Brotherton.

Referee: Matt Foley.

Assistant Referees: Matt Filipak and Daniel Cohen.

Attendance: 66.

Star Blue: Marc Leach.