VIDEO: Dunstable breeze past Erith & Belvedere in FA Trophy

FA Trophy Preliminary Round: Dunstable Town 4 Erith & Belvedere 1
Dunstable v Erith & Belvedere. Photos by Liam Smith. wk 40.Dunstable v Erith & Belvedere. Photos by Liam Smith. wk 40.
Dunstable v Erith & Belvedere. Photos by Liam Smith. wk 40.

Goals at regular intervals saw Dunstable Town eased through the preliminary round of the FA Trophy with a 4-1 victory over Erith & Belvedere at Creasey Park on Saturday.

Dunstable dominated possession in the opening stages against their Ryman League North opponents and, after Tony Burnett and Lee Roache had both shot wide, they took a deserved lead on 21 minutes when Roache and Chris Marsh combined well in the penalty area, with last year’s top scorer getting the telling touch.

The Deres lacked cohesion at the back and a poorly defended free-kick allowed Danny Murphy to beat the four-man wall and double Dunstable’s lead on 33 minutes.

Dunstable v Erith & Belvedere. Photos by Liam Smith. wk 40.Dunstable v Erith & Belvedere. Photos by Liam Smith. wk 40.
Dunstable v Erith & Belvedere. Photos by Liam Smith. wk 40.

Erith and Belvedere were restricted to isolated chances from Aaron Jeffery and Luke Tanner as Dunstable’s defence was rarely troubled in an increasingly one-sided game.

Director of football John McLoughlin said: “After a great win against Daventry on Tuesday we kept the same starting 11 and again they produced.

“It’s easy for us to pick the side at present and again we had some really strong performances from Moses Olaleye, Nathan Frater and Adam Watkins.

“Lee Roach is on fine form, scoring two great goals and Danny Murphy has done really well to keep his place.

“We go to St Ives on Tuesday night and if we play as we are then I fancy us to get another result there.

“It’s an absolute pleasure to manage this team at present and long may it continue.

“Off the pitch we have now completed the consortium and we welcome David Broughton of Auto Effects and Alan Bourn of Drill Tech to the board of DTFC.”

The Deres mounted some early pressure after the restart, forcing four corners in their best spell of the game.

However, the Blues scored a third on 57 minutes when Roache headed home his second of the game from a Murphy corner.

Dunstable continued to press with Burnett, Roache and Adam Watkins all going close before the former Luton man score Town’s fourth with five minutes to go.

Roache turn provider when, in a shooting position, he noticed the unmarked Watkins who finished smartly having hit a post in the last two games.

And Deres’ substitute Marcus Cassius’ goal two minutes from time was scant consolation for the visitors.

Dunstable face Barton Rovers’ conquerors, Ryman League South side Peacehaven & Telscombe, in the next round at Creasey Park on October 19.

Town head to St Ives Town on Tuesday, go to Egham Town on Saturday and entertain Aylesbury in the first round of the Red Insure Cup on Tuesday week.

Blues: Jamie Head, Danny Hutchins, Danny Murphy (Damen Pickering), Joseph Bruce, Marc Leach, Moses Olaleye (Warren Plowright), Adam Watkins, Tony Burnett, Lee Roache, Nathan Frater, Christopher Marsh (Matt Nolan). Substitutes not used: Tony Fontanelle.

Deres: Andy Young, George Savage, Laurence Collins, Jamie Miller, Aiden Sherlock, George Benner, Jamie Lawrence, Marvin Alegiou, Mo Conteh, Luke Tanner, Aaron Jeffrey. Substitutes used: Sam Gent, Richard Mowan, Marcus Cassius. Substitutes not used: Taylor Thomas, Louis Simpson.

Referee: Gary Novak.

Assistant Referees: Wayne Bright and Paul Cooper.

Attendance: 56.

Star Blue: Lee Roache.