Luton back on track

Town in top six after 4-1 Railwaymen win

Luton 4 Crewe 1

Luton got their season back on track with a much-needed win against the Railwaymen at Kenilworth Road.

Two second-half goals in the space of three minutes from Rowan Vine, a third from substitute Dean Morgan and a late strike from Enoch Showunmi after Richard Walker's consolation for Crewe helped lift an evening hampered by gloomy conditions.

Hatters made five changes to the side that slumped to defeat at Norwich as suspended pair Kevin Nicholls and Russell Perrett missed out and leading goalscorer Steve Howard was sidelined through illness.

With Ahmet Brkovic and Dean Morgan dropping to the bench it meant a return to the side for Enoch Showunmi, Leon Barnett, Carlos Edwards and Peter Holmes while Rowan Vine made his first start of the season after his back injury.

The game kicked off with thickening fog enveloping some attractive play on the field as Warren Feeney snapped Luton's first chance wide in the sixth minute from Vine's left wing cross.

Crewe were happy to sit back, but showed they were still capable of an attacking threat when Gary Roberts fired just wide from 18-yards in the eighth minute after Kenny Lunt's lay off on the right.

It was Luton who dictated the early exchanges though and after Barnett headed Steve Robinson's corner just over in the 15th minute, Showunmi showed a glimpse of his erratic brilliance four minutes later when he left two defenders for dead near the right corner flag before curling a left-footed effort just wide from 22 yards.

Steve Jones' 20-yard volley at Marlon Beresford saw Crewe register the game's first effort on target in the 23rd minute just seconds before Holmes ended a jinking run with a left-footed strike that skimmed just past the post.

Alex defender Richard Walker then saw himself almost score at both ends in the space of three minutes as he firstly headed over his own goalkeeper only for the ball to drift wide before he prodded a Lunt free-kick past Beresford in the 27th minute only for Kevin Foley to clear off the line.

Despite Luton's possession, they didn't register their first shot on target until six minutes before the break when Vine's deflected 25-yard effort was comfortably held by Ben Williams.

Town pressed on after the break with the classy looking Edwards having a drive deflect over in the 48th minute before Holmes headed weakly at Williams after Showunmi's cross three minutes later.

Edwards and Holmes then saw efforts deflect wide before Steve Jones missed a glorious opportunity for the hosts as he blaxed Michael Higdon's knock-down over from six yards in the 64th minute.

As frustrations began to grow, Showunmi set off on a marauding 50-yard run that ended with him sliding in Vine to sidefoot home from 10-yards for his first of the season in the 69th minute.

Three minutes later Vine was upended in the box by Stephen Foster, who was sent off for his troubles, and the ex-Pompey man stepped up to bag his and Luton's second from the spot.

Morgan beat Williams at the second attempt from Holmes' cross eight minutes from time before Walker headed home Lunt's free-kick two minutes later.

Showunmi wrapped things up when he registered from close range after Vine's pull back from the by-line.

Luton: Marlon Beresford, Kevin Foley, Markus Heikkinen, Leon Barnett, Paul Underwood, Carlos Edwards, Steve Robinson, Peter Holmes, Rowan Vine (Ahmet Brkovic, 90), Enoch Showunmi, Warren Feeney (Dean Morgan, 60). Substitutes: Keith Keane, Calvin Andrew, Dean Brill.

Crewe: Ben Williams, Darren Moss, Richard Walker, Stephen Foster, Anthony Tonkin (Adie Moses, 46), Kenny Lunt, Billy Jones, Gary Roberts, Mark Rivers (Luke Varney, 70), Steve Jones (Luke Rogers, 81), Michael Higdon. Substitutes: Stuart Tomlinson, Eddie Johnson.

Referee: Phil Crossley (Kent).

Attendance: 7,474 (204 from Crewe).

Sent off: Stephen Foster (71).